|dc.identifier.citation||Parry, D., Breton, A., Abernethy, D., Cockcroft, S., & Gillies, J. (1999). Using the Internet to teach health informatics (Information Science Discussion Papers Series No. 99/27). University of Otago. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10523/1030||en
|dc.description.abstract||Since July 1998 we have been teaching an Internet-based distance learning course in health informatics. The development of this course and the experiences we have had running it are described in this paper. The course was delivered using paper materials, a face-to-face workshop, a CD-ROM and Internet communication tools. We currently have about 30 students around New Zealand, a mixture of physicians, nurses and other health staff. Some teaching methods have worked, some haven't, but in the process we have learned a number of valuable lessons.||en_NZ
|dc.description.references||1. van Bemmel, J. and M. Musan, The Handbook of Medical Informatics. 1997: Springer.
2. Coiera, E., Guide to Medical Informatics, the Internet and Telemedicine. 1997, London: Chapman & Hall.
3. Shortliffe, E., Medical Informatics meets Medical Education, . 1995.
4. Uther, J. “It's Just a Web Site”: an Intranet to support a Graduate Medical Program. in THE USE OF THE INTERNET & INTRANETS IN MEDICAL, NURSING & ALLIED HEALTH EDUCATION. 1998. University of Sydney.
5. Atherton, S., et al. The University of Queensland’ s Experience in the Design and Implementation of an Intranet-based Medical Course. in THE USE OF THE INTERNET & INTRANETS IN MEDICAL, NURSING & ALLIED HEALTH EDUCATION. 1998. University of Sydney.
6. Anderson, T., Integrating Lectures and Electronic Course Materials. Innovations in Education and Training International, 1997. 34(1): p. 24-31.
7. Koppi, A., J.R. Lublin, and Chaloupka, Effective teaching and learning in a High-tech Environment. Innovations in Education and Training International, 1997. 34(4): p. 245-251.
8. Beekman, G., Computer Confluence: Exploring Tomorrow's Technology. Second ed. 1997, Menlo Park: Addison - Wesley.
9. Bentley, R., et al., Basic Support for Cooperative Work on the World Wide Web. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 1997. 46(6): p. 827-846.
10. Downes, S., The Future of online learning, . 1998.
11. Hirumi, A., Interactivity, Distance Education and Instructional Systems Design Converge on the Information Superhighway. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 1996. 29(1): p. 1-16.||en_NZ