To turn the key : the history of deaf education in New Zealand.
Stewart, Pauline Ann
On the 10th March 1880, the Sumner School for the Deaf and Dumb was established. It was the first school for hearing impaired children in the world to be totally funded by the Government. In 1942, a further school was established in Auckland to cater for the hearing impaired children in the northern half of the North Island. During the 1960's and 1970's unit classes for hearing impaired children were developed in ordinary schools. As well, many children with hearing losses were educated in normal classrooms, often with specialist help. In 1879 the Government sought an expert from England. The methods he brought to New Zealand at this time were innovative. They remained in favour for the next sixty years. In 1940 the Government again sought an expert from England. The principal chosen devoted thirty-three years to education in this specialist field. The provision of education for hearing impaired children in New Zealand has not been without problems. The need for very small classes, highly competent specialist teachers, buildings to cope with wildly fluctuating rolls and satisfactory institutional care were but a few of the problems educationalists in this specialist field were forced to face. As well, children were often admitted at an advanced age and withdrawn at an early age. The provision of pre-school education proved particularly problematic. Some problems were resolved. The solution to others proved more elusive. The successes and failures of this educational enterprise are examined in the present thesis.
Advisor: McKenzie, J.D.S.
Degree Name: Master of Education
Degree Discipline: Education
Research Type: Thesis