The Otago University Review (Special number). A history of the Otago University during its minority. 1871 to 1892.
Otago University Students’ Association
INTRODUCTION: In presenting to our readers the Special Number of the Otago University Review, we wish to say a few words in explanation of its scope and purposes, and to explain the reasons that led to its publication. The University of Otago having this year completed the twenty-first year of its existence, it was thought advisable by the College authorities that the session of 1893 should be inaugurated by a ceremony celebrating the attainment of majority by the University. Accordingly, on the afternoon of Saturday, the 8th April, a large number of those interested in the University and the cause of education assembled in the College Library. Here were delivered addresses by the Rev. Dr. Stuart, Dr. Shand, Professor Sale, Dr. Fitchett, and Sir Robert Stout, dealing with the foundation, early history, and progress of the Otago University, and with other kindred topics relating to University education in New Zealand and elsewhere. In order to preserve these addresses, comprising as they did a history of University education in Otago, the editors of the Review, at the suggestion of some of the members of the Otago University Council, resolved to publish this Special Number, embodying an account of this ceremony, together with the addresses there delivered. It was also resolved to add to these addresses a short account of the Mining School and of the Museum, with a short outline of the origin and history of each institution connected with the University. It was not thought necessary to include separate histories of the Schools of Medicine and Law, as these were part and parcel of the history of the University detailed with great fullness in Dr. Shand’s address on “The Growth and Work of the Otago University.” To render this work still more interesting and attractive, it was resolved to insert plates of the past and present Chancellors of the University, of the old University Buildings in Princes street (now the Colonial Bank buildings), or the present University buildings in Castle street, and of the Museum. In order to aid the work of publication, necessitating as it did a large amount of expense, the Council of the Otago University generously donated the sum of £10 towards the cost of this issue. We beg here to thank them, in the name of the students, for their liberal grant, and to take it as an indication of the amicable relations which do, and we hope always will, exist between the Council and the students. The balance of the sum necessary to defray the expenses of publishing this number we hope to raise by sale and private subscription. The addresses delivered at the above-mentioned ceremony are here inserted consecutively under the heading “The Celebration of the Twenty-first Anniversary of the University of Otago.” Dr. Fitchett’s address on “University Education in other parts of New Zealand,” being delivered on notes merely, and very insufficiently reported in the daily papers, we have been obliged, at his own request, to leave out. The other addresses are : “The Foundation of the Otago University,” by Rev. Dr. Stuart ; “The Growth and Work of the Otago University,” by Dr. Shand ; “Recent Changes in the Old English Universities,” by Professor Sale ; and “The Future of the Otago University,” by Sir Robert Stout. The University institutions whose histories are here detailed are : The Debating Society, the Students’ Association, The Review, the Christian Alliance, the Dramatic Club, the Football Club, and the Lawn Tennis Club. And here we must record our appreciation of the services of those who have aided us so munch in this work by the readiness which they have shown in contributing the articles contained in this issue. We cannot adequately express our deep sense of gratitude to our contributors, who have cheerfully expended so much careful and earnest labour in the compilation of the articles here set forth. In conclusion, we would remark that we have striven to render this little work, as far as possible, a complete epitome of the history of the University since its foundation, both as regards University work and University institutions. We have, we hope, embodied here a record, however brief and imperfect, of the first twenty-one years existence of our College ; and we re-echo the prayer of our worthy Chancellor that the “University of Otago, through the overruling Providence of Heaven, may flourish more and more as the years roll on, and contribute to the advancement of science and sound learning, the promotion of the material and moral interests of the colony, and the establishment of our people in the righteousness which exalteth the nation, and thus help forward the noble ends contemplated by its founders.”
Publisher: Otago University Students’ Association
Pages: 63 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports.
Series: The Otago University Review
Series number: 1893
Research Type: Book
Printed by the Canton Printing Company, Manse Street, Dunedin.
- Book